Thursday, November 17, 2005

The 47 Hustle

Today I was riding southbound to hell and Market on the 47 Van Ness where I planned to make a transfer to the N Judah (and no SteveO, I was NOT buying drugs). I was in my 4th favorite seat on a bus – the one in the very back in the middle where I can properly stretch my longer-than-average legs and ride like the lady of leisure I pretend to be in my head. (#1 seat– the single seats, #2, the forward facing seat of the four in the back, by the window, #3 – the window seat in the pair of seats adjacent to the back exit doors – more leg room. Way too much time on buses.)

In any case, I was reading my new Augusten Burroughs book (hi-fucking-larious) and minding my own business when I noticed a nice-looking youngish man sitting in the back. I took note of him as I don’t yet have a 47 Fantasy Lover and frankly, I kind of never expected to. I mean, let’s face it. The 47 has no flair, no edge. It could be driving down a major road in Atlanta or even worse, Indianapolis for God’s sake. Where’s the panache, I ask you? It’s certainly no N Judah or 10 Townsend as far as viable options for Fantasy public transportation crushes go.

Three men board and sit near me in the back. They immediately begin a little Price is Right shell game action using 3 different colored lids from soda bottles and a plain M&M. The ring leader tries to hustle anyone not listening to an iPod or reading a book to give him some money – “any money that folds will work” – to guess which lid the M&M is under. I kept reading, though a large man next to me who spoke no English and was missing a front tooth kept jabbing me in the ribs, encouraging me to play.

47 Fantasy Lover pulled out a $1 bill and gave it to 47 Bob Barker. I was engrossed in my book and didn’t pay attention for a few more minutes, until I looked up and saw Fantasy Lover pull out THREE TWENTIES and hand them over to Bob Barker. THREE TWENTIES! Suddenly it was as if someone had clapped their hands to snap me out of my hypnosis. Idiot Passenger (previously known as Fantasy Lover) wasn’t so cute….and he was an idiot (hence the name). Who in their right mind hands over $60 to the Bob Barker of MUNI? Idiot Passenger chose the wrong lid and lost. Naturally.

Idiot Passenger begins to heatedly DEMAND that Bob Barker return his twenties. Bob Barker ignores him and pretends he doesn’t hear. Idiot Passenger stands up, pretending he’s gonna fight Bob Barker. Bob stands and fights back. A pushing and shoving match ensues. The back of the bus erupts in chaos. People were yelling, moving and falling everywhere, hands were grabbing at bags, newspapers, books – you name it. I clutch my $8 H&M bag as if my life depended on it (because it did…it had my iPod in it) and rushed through the crowd to the back exit to de-board.

It was only after I de-boarded that I realized I’d almost fallen victim to the oldest trick in the book: the old distraction technique. And that at least 6 of the people on the back of the bus were involved (a nice man waiting for the 21 helped me piece this together –he was there also). So Idiot Passenger wasn’t really an Idiot after all. He was actually a conniving trickster, preying on honest MUNI passengers like me, waiting for the exact moment that my grasp on my pleather H&M bag would loosen so he could yank the very pulp of life from my hands.

While I should’ve been focusing my attention on my heroic MacGyver-like escape from the almost-hustle, I was instead focusing on how quickly I drop into Fantasy Land – and with people from public transportation. ??!!! Seriously, I should get out more, right?? But I take MUNI and I’m not so bad. Even so, I fast-forwarded to me bringing N Judah home to meet my family. “How did you guys meet?” “Oh, it was so romantic, our pelvises were pressed against one another and our pheromones just clicked, mom.” Beautiful.

I should have expected that type of behavior from a 47 man but as Carrie Bradshaw might lament, I couldn’t help but wonder: Is my N Judah Fantasy Lover a manipulative trickster too? Did Ex British Lover (EBL) fool me with slick distraction techniques learned on a parallel Oxford Circus F Market? Will I always develop a “thing” for men on the back of the proverbial bus? Are N Judah’s green eyes, delicious smile and 6’2” of lusciousness a cover for pure evil also? Am I doomed to a life of men who just want to grab my pleather purse when it’s convenient for them?

See? WAY TOO MUCH TIME ON BUSES.

21 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What an exciting MUNI adventure, Miss Brown! I was once witness to the back-of-the-bus Price Is Right hustle. This was on the 9 San Bruno, but it didn't erupt into a frenzy like yours did.

Speaking of MUNI Fantasy Lovers, I once had one of those on the 33, and I even managed to finally meet her through the spineless-yet-successful use of craiglist missed connections. Yes indeed. Then we had lunch, and that was it.

2:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had a fleeting moment of a boyfriend that we all still refer to as "Bus Guy". He was a 5Fulton.

Oh baby we're just clingin to idealogical romantic fantasies because-yes-we have too much time on our hands. AND the rest of our friends are in shackin' up.

2:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh that reminds me... the band I play in has a song called Pepper Spray, which is about a boy who lusts over a girl on MUNI and is too chicken to say hi to her.

No, I didn't write the song. Honest.

3:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

To quote you, RBrown? Hi-fucking-larious!!! I'm of a similar mind also. I can't look at any situation without departing into this weirdly paranoid and neurotic Fantasyland. Sometimes, I'm not even sure whether I really think that way or if I'm just doing it for my own entertainment. At the very least? It's always good blogging material! You crack me up.

8:51 PM  
Blogger Check me out: said...

the same thing happened to me on the 1 california, or it may have been just a hallucination from the overwhelming scent of raw fish and cabbage.

9:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tell Dave to accept all comments, I can't give a shout out since I'm typepad! DRAT!
It was sucha good comment too...damn!

12:37 AM  
Blogger Jaime Schwarz said...

I don't know if it's the fact that it was in NYC instead of SF or because it was 1976 instead of 2005 but my parents met on a bus and it's the most romantic story I've ever heard. For those of you who don't know it I'll do a blog on it in a bit. Stay tuned, your faith in busses of all numbers shall be redeemed!

7:55 AM  
Blogger Jaime Schwarz said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

7:56 AM  
Blogger Jaime Schwarz said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

7:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i had a 30 stockton love. oh, did i love him.
this post shall go down in blogging history as one of your best. amazing dahhling. amazing!

10:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi, new visitor -- very funny post, and rings true to anyone who takes public transportation. I never had a fantasy lover on the commuter bus. I have seen a lot of panhandling and drug deals, but have never been able to describe the humor of the situation as well as you did!

11:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well (clears throat), as a former MUNI rider, I once picked up a guy on the 3 Jackson who was a totally hot lawyer (not husband, though), and we dated for a few months. It can happen . . .

12:53 PM  
Blogger gina said...

Your life is so exciting compared to mine. I am stuck in a boring mini-van all by myself. But I do get to sing at the top of my lungs.

4:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The friggin bus...I don't take it too much considering my commute is a whole 7 blocks...I used to have a girfriend that I'd let get a little ahead of me as we boarded and then pretend to "meet" her for the first time as I sat down...coy glances, and all, in the back of the bus of course. It was a fun little bit of tittilation to pretend we were picking each other up on the MUNI of all places. Oh, how to keep it interesting 3 years in? Role playing, lots of role playing...that's how.

1:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks for the infomation

8:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

can i get more info?

12:45 AM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

mac cosmetics, polo ralph lauren, hollister, nike free pas cher, vanessa bruno, sac louis vuitton, sac guess, hollister, longchamp, north face, air max, louis vuitton, new balance pas cher, michael kors pas cher, nike trainers, converse pas cher, hollister, longchamp, mulberry, michael kors, nike tn, lululemon, timberland, hogan outlet, ray ban sunglasses, ralph lauren, nike free, louboutin, polo lacoste, oakley pas cher, sac longchamp, air force, nike huarache, sac hermes, sac burberry, nike roshe run, north face, sac louis vuitton, abercrombie and fitch, louis vuitton uk, barbour, nike air max, ray ban pas cher, air jordan, vans shoes, vans pas cher, nike roshe run, nike roshe, nike blazer, michael kors

2:29 AM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

canada goose uk, ugg pas cher, nfl jerseys, jimmy choo outlet, giuseppe zanotti, north face jackets, new balance shoes, moncler, abercrombie and fitch, reebok outlet, ugg australia, soccer jerseys, marc jacobs, bottega veneta, ugg boots, ugg boots, baseball bats, chi flat iron, canada goose, birkin bag, air max, iphone 6 cases, celine handbags, asics running shoes, uggs outlet, lululemon outlet, instyler, ghd, valentino shoes, insanity workout, canada goose, moncler, canada goose, mont blanc, soccer shoes, canada goose jackets, rolex watches, babyliss pro, herve leger, hollister clothing store, wedding dresses, mcm handbags, p90x, ugg, beats by dre, moncler outlet, canada goose outlet, moncler, north face outlet, ferragamo shoes

2:29 AM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

replica watches, michael kors outlet online, polo ralph lauren outlet online, ray ban sunglasses, jordan shoes, uggs outlet, louis vuitton, louis vuitton outlet, louis vuitton, ray ban sunglasses, christian louboutin, nike free, oakley sunglasses, kate spade outlet, longchamp outlet, longchamp outlet, oakley sunglasses wholesale, burberry outlet, prada handbags, michael kors outlet, michael kors outlet, michael kors outlet online, nike outlet, christian louboutin uk, longchamp outlet, gucci handbags, uggs outlet, replica watches, tiffany and co, chanel handbags, oakley sunglasses, oakley sunglasses, burberry handbags, nike air max, tiffany jewelry, uggs on sale, nike air max, michael kors outlet online, polo outlet, michael kors outlet online, louis vuitton outlet, cheap oakley sunglasses, ray ban sunglasses, ugg boots, christian louboutin outlet, tory burch outlet, louis vuitton outlet

5:43 PM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

north face outlet, iphone 5s cases, north face outlet, louboutin, mont blanc pens, p90x workout, nike trainers uk, soccer shoes, asics running shoes, jimmy choo outlet, ghd hair, soccer jerseys, nike air max, iphone 6s plus cases, hollister clothing, baseball bats, iphone 6s cases, iphone cases, bottega veneta, hollister, ralph lauren, nike roshe run, babyliss, valentino shoes, insanity workout, mcm handbags, instyler, mac cosmetics, chi flat iron, ferragamo shoes, giuseppe zanotti outlet, abercrombie and fitch, nfl jerseys, lululemon, oakley, iphone 6 plus cases, timberland boots, new balance shoes, nike huaraches, ipad cases, beats by dre, vans outlet, s6 case, iphone 6 cases, reebok outlet, celine handbags, hermes belt, herve leger, wedding dresses, longchamp uk

5:50 PM  
Blogger raybanoutlet001 said...

coach outlet store online
nike huarache
prada outlet
nike air max 90
ugg boots
reebok shoes
michael kors bags
michael kors handbags
nike factory outlet
coach outlet
2017.8.1

6:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home