Monday, November 28, 2005

I’ve gone Joey.



Meet my dear friends Mill Valley Mama (MVM) and Her Baby Daddy (HBD). Their baby is due on Friday (I’m keeping my fingers crossed that Duck and I will share a December 2 birthday, along with Lucy Liu and Britney Spears) and today I got to spend the entire day with them which for me was a huge deal considering this could be one of the last days of their pre-parenthood to enjoy together.

MVM, HBD and Duck are collectively one of the reasons I decided I absolutely, positively have to be in SF. I love them dearly and I plan on being the greatest fake aunt the world has ever seen. But today on the way to their house I had a mild estrogen attack of crying, which, as much as I hate to admit it, came from selfishness. Allow me to explain.

I may very well be the Joey Tribiani of their lives. You know what I mean. Monica and Chandler, two of Joey’s best friends, are expecting. They buy a house more conducive to family outside the city. As excited as Joey is for them, he worries where he’ll fit in, when he’ll see them, will they still go to Knicks games together? Can Chandler still fit him in for “Baywatch” and sandwiches? Will Joey’s responsible, permanently employed friends still find time for him, unstable, unemployed actor Joey? Or is this is it, save a couple of days a year when they meet up to celebrate birthdays?

I started to think about my Joey parallel and I got really sad, a sadness not even little Dakota Fanning could console. I’ve never worried that we wouldn’t be friends anymore. But so many things can change the dynamics of a friendship, things that demand – and deserve - time and attention. Marriage. Jobs. New in-laws and families. And now, kids. I guess I just worried where I’d fit in. (See? I told you it was selfish.) I love these people. They’re like family. I miss them as it is.

But today we made brunch. We talked. We made Christmas cookies. We read the paper. We relaxed. We hung out. We did things that they probably won’t have time to do for a very long time. And I was thrilled just to be part of it.

As the day wore on, they told me stories about their fighting raccoons in the back yard and their unidentified caller on caller ID. I told them about my exciting life in the city, my job and my dating life, all of which took about 9.2 seconds total. The thing I realized is that I was secretly basking in the glow of what they thought was “boredom” and I think they were genuinely interested in my 9.2 seconds of city life.

I realized that while single people worry about how they’ll fit into married/couple/family life, married people probably worry that they’ll fall off the “call” list because their single friends think their raccoons-in—the-backyard stories aren’t enough of a draw. (Trust me, these 2 could make a 20-page legal document seem hilarious and insightful.) They worry that their kids/mortgages/college funds conversation won’t be a match for our small apartments/3:1 female to male ratio in the city/overpriced vodka tonic bitching. But in reality we’re each kind of secretly fascinated with the others’ completely different lives. And truthfully, we only talked about that stuff for about 5 minutes total. The other 9 hours we talked about the same stuff we always talked about when we were sitting around having drinks as single people. The nothingness that makes you laugh and love your friends: why Jessica and Nick didn’t work, why the 49ers can’t win to save their fricking lives, why some people think sitting in a hot tub naked with business associates is a good way to close a deal (We split on this: HBD is all for it. MVM and I, not so much).

In the end, both my selfishness and my inner Joey were soothed. But my inner Solomon came out with a vengeance. You may remember Solomon from “The Hand That Rocks the Cradle”. Slightly retarded, probably not a ton of previous kid knowledge but his love and devotion for the family was so strong that he would eventually overcome the evils of nanny Rebecca DeMornay by helping the mom knock Rebecca out the window and fall to her death on the point of a picket fence. So I’ve got that going for me. I’d gladly take down anybody that dared fuck with the happiness of my friends, their new little Duck or my God dog Josie. I’d rig a greenhouse. I’d steal an inhaler. I’d push someone on a picket fence. I’d follow behind their car on my bike-with-a-handy-basket to make sure they’d stay safe.

The next time I see them, they’ll have a baby. This still causes me to cry, but now it’s more from happiness and excitement than fear of losing my friends. Because I learned I’m on the very short call list when Baby Duck begins his/her exciting journey into the world. And they’re on my short call list for, you know, when I get free lattes, land permanent health insurance or go out on more than 3 dates with anyone.

And maybe that’s what life’s all about. Making sure you’re always on somebody’s short call list and that you have people on yours. Because without the call list, what have you really got? A bunch of Rebecca DeMornays, that’s what. And nobody wants that.

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This might sound horrible, but that piece was too good for a blog. My advice -- take it down, polish out idiosyncratic references and submit it to some magazines. Ya' now, R, it's great to practice on us, but I'd expect to be paid (or at least published) with shit like that.

And we do envy your single life. And if we had your life we'd envy ours. Since the grass is always greener, methinks the real Secret lies elsewhere. I'm sure you can guess my inklings on that . . .

1:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i concur with macfisto. maybe one of your best pieces of writing ever! MAKE MONEY OFF OF THIS!!!

bravo brown. a truly heartfelt, yet interesting, and insightful piece of literature. yes, i said LITERATURE, not just a blog, or writing, or spewing at the mouth. you went and wrote yerself some literature.
i'm so proud of you. NOW SELL THIS!!

9:48 AM  
Blogger concha said...

see that's what i'm sayin'. write a book. make some money. i'll even sell you my matt damon makout story. i'm sure you can write it up better.

10:34 AM  
Blogger sissy said...

Fab post! I especially loved the part about Solomon. TDF!

5:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As always, RBrown, you rock the house. Heartfelt, personal, funny and enlightening...this is what great blogging and writing is all about. Whether you sell this or paste it on the bus, I just think it's awesome.

And you know what? I think you're right. Maybe life is all about making sure you’re always on somebody’s short call list and that you have people on yours. Because the call list represents the groups of people that we connect with...friends, couples, groups, etc.

Reminds me of the scene in "About a Boy" when they're discussing how couples aren't the future. That people are connected by islands of people. And how, in the famous words of John Bon Jovi, "no man is an island."

Anyway, great post! Hope all is well.

6:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey girl. Wow Thank you, you said what all us girlfriends of the married's think and you said it better than yer girl Bridgette Jones ever could. Colin Firth would totally pick you. Just remember you 'aint alone sister.

9:03 PM  
Blogger gina said...

You get to be an Auntie! Congratulations! You know your friends ADORE you! You are soooo not a Joey.

I was the first one in my little group to spout out life and I felt the same way you do. Some of my friends couldn't understand why I would give up my life to have this kid. Needless to say we drifted apart.

TRUE darling friends are Aunties and fall in love with your spawn.

You are brilliant! And funny! And Gorgeous! And there have been a few days I wish I was where you are.

Now go write your book!

5:35 AM  
Blogger Jaime Schwarz said...

You are so not a Joey! But if you were, would moving out to LA to star in your own spin-off really be that bad?

10:18 AM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

mac cosmetics, polo ralph lauren, hollister, nike free pas cher, vanessa bruno, sac louis vuitton, sac guess, hollister, longchamp, north face, air max, louis vuitton, new balance pas cher, michael kors pas cher, nike trainers, converse pas cher, hollister, longchamp, mulberry, michael kors, nike tn, lululemon, timberland, hogan outlet, ray ban sunglasses, ralph lauren, nike free, louboutin, polo lacoste, oakley pas cher, sac longchamp, air force, nike huarache, sac hermes, sac burberry, nike roshe run, north face, sac louis vuitton, abercrombie and fitch, louis vuitton uk, barbour, nike air max, ray ban pas cher, air jordan, vans shoes, vans pas cher, nike roshe run, nike roshe, nike blazer, michael kors

2:30 AM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

canada goose uk, ugg pas cher, nfl jerseys, jimmy choo outlet, giuseppe zanotti, north face jackets, new balance shoes, moncler, abercrombie and fitch, reebok outlet, ugg australia, soccer jerseys, marc jacobs, bottega veneta, ugg boots, ugg boots, baseball bats, chi flat iron, canada goose, birkin bag, air max, iphone 6 cases, celine handbags, asics running shoes, uggs outlet, lululemon outlet, instyler, ghd, valentino shoes, insanity workout, canada goose, moncler, canada goose, mont blanc, soccer shoes, canada goose jackets, rolex watches, babyliss pro, herve leger, hollister clothing store, wedding dresses, mcm handbags, p90x, ugg, beats by dre, moncler outlet, canada goose outlet, moncler, north face outlet, ferragamo shoes

2:30 AM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

louboutin pas cher, nike roshe, polo lacoste, sac vanessa bruno, north face, replica handbags, jordan pas cher, true religion jeans, nike blazer pas cher, timberland pas cher, true religion outlet, michael kors outlet, nike free uk, michael kors, true religion outlet, ralph lauren uk, coach outlet, hollister pas cher, north face uk, ray ban pas cher, burberry pas cher, lululemon canada, nike air force, longchamp pas cher, polo ralph lauren, nike roshe run uk, coach purses, sac hermes, oakley pas cher, guess pas cher, vans pas cher, air max, nike free run, new balance, sac longchamp pas cher, abercrombie and fitch uk, mulberry uk, converse pas cher, nike air max, nike tn, coach outlet store online, hogan outlet, nike air max uk, michael kors, nike air max uk, michael kors pas cher, hollister uk, true religion outlet, ray ban uk, kate spade

5:45 PM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

north face outlet, iphone 5s cases, north face outlet, louboutin, mont blanc pens, p90x workout, nike trainers uk, soccer shoes, asics running shoes, jimmy choo outlet, ghd hair, soccer jerseys, nike air max, iphone 6s plus cases, hollister clothing, baseball bats, iphone 6s cases, iphone cases, bottega veneta, hollister, ralph lauren, nike roshe run, babyliss, valentino shoes, insanity workout, mcm handbags, instyler, mac cosmetics, chi flat iron, ferragamo shoes, giuseppe zanotti outlet, abercrombie and fitch, nfl jerseys, lululemon, oakley, iphone 6 plus cases, timberland boots, new balance shoes, nike huaraches, ipad cases, beats by dre, vans outlet, s6 case, iphone 6 cases, reebok outlet, celine handbags, hermes belt, herve leger, wedding dresses, longchamp uk

5:47 PM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

swarovski crystal, louis vuitton, louis vuitton, gucci, thomas sabo, doudoune moncler, juicy couture outlet, wedding dresses, toms shoes, moncler outlet, juicy couture outlet, louis vuitton, montre pas cher, pandora uk, ugg uk, swarovski, louis vuitton, marc jacobs, moncler outlet, vans, moncler, coach outlet, ray ban, supra shoes, canada goose uk, links of london, canada goose, converse outlet, moncler, converse, canada goose, canada goose outlet, barbour, lancel, louis vuitton, moncler uk, moncler, moncler, ugg,ugg australia,ugg italia, barbour uk, replica watches, canada goose outlet, hollister, canada goose outlet, ugg, ugg pas cher, karen millen uk, nike air max, pandora jewelry, pandora jewelry, hollister, ugg,uggs,uggs canada, pandora charms

5:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home