Monday, October 24, 2005

30s are the new 20s

I used to not think so much about being or feeling old. But since the whole word is pretty much obsessed with anti-aging I've started to tune in more to some of the remarks I've heard over the past couple of years. You know, with the coming and going of big birthdays and whatnot. (39 days and counting, for those who wish to shower me with gifts).

Following are a few of my recent favorites and a few pieces of good news....please post more. They make me laugh.

"She's a TOTAL cougar"- This one came from my friend Andy and was an absolute shocker for me. I pride myself on knowing what the kids are saying, yo and I'd never once heard this. Apparently a cougar (I'm still not 100% sure this is what it is...I keep calling it a leopard/panther, my friend Dayna keeps correcting me and I keep forgetting it again) is a middle-aged woman who prowls the bars looking for early to mid-20s gentlemen to satisfy her. You know, (whisper) sexually. I asked Andy to define "middle-aged" and he graciously told me it was mid to late 40s. Whew- a decade and then some to spare.

Side note: ladies, if any of you suspect you're a member of this strange feline group, might I suggest a face-saving field trip to a handy little spot in The Mission or on Polk St. before heading out to bars. Just to take the edge off and not look so....catty. Also, can we coin a phrase for the gazillions of disgusting geezers who've been trolling bars for women 1/3 their age since...well, pretty much since the invention of the bar? Anyone?

Can you see the reindeer? I heard this one last week while I was having my annual eye exam. Sean (the very nice PA) asked me to put on a gigantic pair of plastic Harry Carry looking glasses and then he said it: "Ok, tell me, can you see the reindeer?" I seriously almost wet myself I was laughing so hard. Confused, Sean informed me that this was a serious question and I should be able to see a 3-D reindeer popping out at me, otherwise it could be a sign of early-onset glaucoma. Ouch, man. The laughter stopped and thankfully I saw the reindeer. I then had to look through some goggles and confirm I could see a hot-air balloon floating over the center of some lonely desert road. More laughing, more near wetting. Sean even laughed. I just love that the optometry industry is trying to soften the scary business of aging eye diseases with reindeer and hot air balloons.

Have you ever thought about freezing your eggs? This one came from one of my dearest friends from college who is blissfully married with 2 adorable boys and wants nothing more than for all of her friends to share in a slice of this heaven as well. There was scarcely a pause between "Are you dating anyone?" and "Do you want to have kids someday" to "Well, have you ever thought about freezing your eggs?" Um, NOOOO. No offense to anyone who's done this but considering I'm unemployed and halfway-housing it around San Francisco right now, this hardly seems a smart or economically feasible option. And also, wouldn't that be a little creepy? Guys? We date, fall in love, maybe decide to get married and start a family and then oh, hang on...let me run to the freezer and pull out my ice tray of...eggs. What the fuck??? Hot or not? I'm gonna go with... not.

It's OK. I don't need to see your ID. For fuck's sake, people! Please, read more about honesty here.

Good News:
30s are the new 20s- My friend Janny says this is the word on the street. I'm not sure what her source are but Janny's smart, so I'm going with it. Crazy Virgo is actually counting the days to her 30th birthday. Go figure.

Peak physical attractiveness occurs at 38.This according to the iron-clad source known as People Magazine. But whatever. I'll take it.

The average life expectancy of a woman is 84. Praise the gods, I'm much further from this demon whore of a bitch known as middle age than I thought. Oh, I found that little piece on a site called Sex Temple of the Health Goddess. A girl's gotta take it where she can get it, right?

11 Comments:

Blogger concha said...

seriously, rbrown. you need to get a magazine column. or write a book. i don't know if anyone ever told you, but you can get paid for writing this stuff.

3:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

girl, you KNOW i'm dying to be 30. which only means that i grow more envious of you everyday. take note from some very HOT HOT HOT sexy over thirties ladies who have hit their awkward beauty (as you put it) righ ton the head...
sarah jessica (40)
CZJ (though T-mobile has ruined her for me)
Condi Rice
Susannah and Trinnie
Jodi Foster (wait, now that's awkward)

5:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My sources are many. I can't name them or I risk losing my street cred. By the way, you remind me of Sedaris. But female. And straight. And prettier.

6:39 PM  
Blogger gina said...

I have decided to put off my peak physical attractiveness until I am at least 45. And I think I had my kids too late to become a "Cougar" or Pissy Cat or whatever. If some young boy tried to pick me up I would have to tell him what's wrong with him and then call his mother and tell her what he is up to. It sucks to be wise.

7:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

30's definitely are the new 20's. Believe me. There is nothing more attractive than a woman in her 30's or 40's. They're cooler, smarter, wittier and less likely to take shit from any guy. Rock on, RBrown. Rock on!

6:15 AM  
Blogger Jaime Schwarz said...

I just wrote an ad where I said 60 is the new 30 so if that's true I don't even think you're legal yet. Speaking of which, my bro turns 25 today so I'm going to actually use your blog, the blog that is not mine, but belongs to one Ms. R. Brown, who is not me to say happy birthday Noah! Yay!

10:33 PM  
Blogger Check me out: said...

demi moore is the new winona ryder as jerry lee lewis' cousin. whatever that means.

11:51 AM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

replica watches, michael kors outlet online, polo ralph lauren outlet online, ray ban sunglasses, jordan shoes, uggs outlet, louis vuitton, louis vuitton outlet, louis vuitton, ray ban sunglasses, christian louboutin, nike free, oakley sunglasses, kate spade outlet, longchamp outlet, longchamp outlet, oakley sunglasses wholesale, burberry outlet, prada handbags, michael kors outlet, michael kors outlet, michael kors outlet online, nike outlet, christian louboutin uk, longchamp outlet, gucci handbags, uggs outlet, replica watches, tiffany and co, chanel handbags, oakley sunglasses, oakley sunglasses, burberry handbags, nike air max, tiffany jewelry, uggs on sale, nike air max, michael kors outlet online, polo outlet, michael kors outlet online, louis vuitton outlet, cheap oakley sunglasses, ray ban sunglasses, ugg boots, christian louboutin outlet, tory burch outlet, louis vuitton outlet

5:33 PM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

louboutin pas cher, nike roshe, polo lacoste, sac vanessa bruno, north face, replica handbags, jordan pas cher, true religion jeans, nike blazer pas cher, timberland pas cher, true religion outlet, michael kors outlet, nike free uk, michael kors, true religion outlet, ralph lauren uk, coach outlet, hollister pas cher, north face uk, ray ban pas cher, burberry pas cher, lululemon canada, nike air force, longchamp pas cher, polo ralph lauren, nike roshe run uk, coach purses, sac hermes, oakley pas cher, guess pas cher, vans pas cher, air max, nike free run, new balance, sac longchamp pas cher, abercrombie and fitch uk, mulberry uk, converse pas cher, nike air max, nike tn, coach outlet store online, hogan outlet, nike air max uk, michael kors, nike air max uk, michael kors pas cher, hollister uk, true religion outlet, ray ban uk, kate spade

5:35 PM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

swarovski crystal, louis vuitton, louis vuitton, gucci, thomas sabo, doudoune moncler, juicy couture outlet, wedding dresses, toms shoes, moncler outlet, juicy couture outlet, louis vuitton, montre pas cher, pandora uk, ugg uk, swarovski, louis vuitton, marc jacobs, moncler outlet, vans, moncler, coach outlet, ray ban, supra shoes, canada goose uk, links of london, canada goose, converse outlet, moncler, converse, canada goose, canada goose outlet, barbour, lancel, louis vuitton, moncler uk, moncler, moncler, ugg,ugg australia,ugg italia, barbour uk, replica watches, canada goose outlet, hollister, canada goose outlet, ugg, ugg pas cher, karen millen uk, nike air max, pandora jewelry, pandora jewelry, hollister, ugg,uggs,uggs canada, pandora charms

5:39 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...


Everything is very open with a precise explanation of the issues. It was definitely informative.

http://tbeby.com/obesity/

http://tbeby.com/underweight/

http://tbeby.com/white-hair/

http://tbeby.com/sciatica/

8:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home