Sunday, October 23, 2005

This one's for you, Ali

Just got an email from my friend Ali who's been in London for the past several weeks. As happy as I am to be back in SF and as resolved as I am to stay here for a while, it kinda felt like someone punched me in the stomach when she told me about sitting on Charlotte St. eating our beloved 1/2 price pizza treat that we could only afford once a week (on Tuesdays).

And so, young Ali, sometime during your last 2 days I ask that you enjoy a slice of said 1/2 price pizza on my behalf, allow yourself to be overserved at a pub which has a sign out front of a man wearing a wig (which pretty much means on any corner) and dance at one of the 131 convenient London area Walkabouts where you should then make out with a 21-year old boy who speaks broken English. (The Walkabout's really more of a throw-in for Emily, but since I vehemently opposed going there on the grounds of feeling like a child molester, I thought I'd mention it.)

Most importantly, have a delicious meal. In a RESTAURANT (no, Pret a Manger does not count). Charge it. I'll buy you a burrito when you get to SF to help offset the cost. No more stalking diners through windows and staring at their meals with a forlorn, hungry face. You're better than that, Ali. We all were. Right??

Say hi to my favorite British gentlemen. Mouth. Still. Watering.

When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford." — Samuel Johnson

5 Comments:

Blogger gina said...

Gawd, I want to move to London. I have never been there, but I feel the need to go. Now you are making me sad you aren't there! We should all caravan together and get our asses to London soon! We can just set up our hip chick lunch table at Pret a Manger.

8:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

History on every corner. Art on every block. Dry Blackthorn cider and chips with salt and vinegar. Waterloo brigde after dark. Irish whiskey and a fire on Guy Fox day. The haze and hum of the Tube. My own language sounding better than I've ever spoken or heard. Belsize Park in the morning. Hampstead Heath in spring. My first cigarette that didn't hurt. I still get letters (to which I never reply) from my last bit of innocence that have a stamp with the picture of the queen.

"Meet me at London, then
Twenty days hence, and thou shalt see
Me fesher, and more fat, by being with men,
Than if I had stayed still with her and thee."
-John Donne

1:11 AM  
Blogger concha said...

hmm...london. minus the mexi packed flat and 6 to a bathroom, i miss london.

6:47 AM  
Blogger Jaime Schwarz said...

Ali! Where are you girl!? New York misses you already :*(

8:49 AM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

louboutin pas cher, nike roshe, polo lacoste, sac vanessa bruno, north face, replica handbags, jordan pas cher, true religion jeans, nike blazer pas cher, timberland pas cher, true religion outlet, michael kors outlet, nike free uk, michael kors, true religion outlet, ralph lauren uk, coach outlet, hollister pas cher, north face uk, ray ban pas cher, burberry pas cher, lululemon canada, nike air force, longchamp pas cher, polo ralph lauren, nike roshe run uk, coach purses, sac hermes, oakley pas cher, guess pas cher, vans pas cher, air max, nike free run, new balance, sac longchamp pas cher, abercrombie and fitch uk, mulberry uk, converse pas cher, nike air max, nike tn, coach outlet store online, hogan outlet, nike air max uk, michael kors, nike air max uk, michael kors pas cher, hollister uk, true religion outlet, ray ban uk, kate spade

5:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home