Wednesday, January 04, 2006

We interrupt the regularly scheduled blogging to say… GO ‘HORNS! (and a few other things that have nothing to do with football)

I could not be happier if it was my own freaking school. I LOVES ME SOME TEXAS TODAY!!! Happy (belated) Birthday, DShaw!!!! Am I a man? Is it natural for a girl who didn’t even go to Texas to be THIS excited? What a great game and an incredible comeback (did USC even HAVE any defensive players on the field??) And Vince Young….all I can say is that guy was like a hot knife through butter…nothin’ was stopping that kid. At 4th and 5 I knew he was gonna get it, somehow, someway. Thank you, Vince and thank you, Texas for taking down the Evil Empire of USC. It almost feels like Duke lost.

*************
Whew. OK, time to take down my heart rate.

It saddens me to report that over my Holiday “break” (is it really a break when you freelance for a living?) I heard that the Dunkin Doughnuts “Time to make the doughnuts” man died. Damn, that broke me down. I thought that was some funny shit back in the 80s and it must’ve stuck with me because almost every day of my adult working life those have been the very first words that pop into my head when my alarm blares at dawn’s crack. See kids, copywriters CAN make a difference in the world!

In fact, outside of a few key programs (the Sunday double whammy of Disney and Mutual of Omaha’s Wild Kingdom along with every Charlie Brown holiday special ever) TTMTDM’s death reminded me that most of my childhood TV memories were of commercials, not programming. So sad. I remember the taglines, the melody of the jingles and a good portion of the copy. Because the bulk of these are from the mid 70s, some of you younger whippersnappers that have befriended me may not even realize that pretty much every single one of these is deeply woven into my vocabulary and has somehow shaped my sick personality and sense of humor. While other kids were playing doctor with dolls, playing astronaut on the high slides or practicing to be a mom on Barbies, young Rebecca was basking in the warm glow of an 18-inch, dancing and singing "Coke is it!" and other jingles at the top of my lungs. Seriously. And just look at me now. Behold! The power of advertising!

My sick sense of curiosity is dying to know what everyone else’s first and/or favorite commercial memory is. Also, any guesses on what current commercials will make our kids’ blogs someday? (Hopefully my kids will be too cool to have a blog).

And now…please enjoy my walk down Consumer Hedonism Lane.

Palmolive and Madge – You’re soaking in it! Anyone who gets remotely domestic around me when I’m feeling lazy automatically gets nicknamed Madge.

Pearl Drops Tooth Polish (what the hell is the difference between polish and paste?) - A sexy girl runs her tongue over her teeth and declares “Mmmmmm……what a GREAT feeling!” VERY racy for 1976ish, no? Separate note: I once did this on a first or second date 10 or 12 years ago thinking – stupidly – that my date got it since we were discussing 70s commercials previously in the evening. (why? Yes, that’s a good question, isn’t it?) Later, he tried to aggressively stick his tongue down my throat and fondle my breastage on the dance floor of the Ace of Clubs in Nashville, TN. Note to self: Do not imitate Pearl Drops Girl. Ever. Again.

Chiffon Margarine: It's not nice to fool Mother Nature (I fricking love that line). If you think it’s butter, but…it’s NOT….it’s Chiffon. I’m surprised Lay’s hasn’t tried to bring back this strategy. “If you think they’re really fried, but…they’re not. It’s Olean (and runny, bloody stool).” Yeah, maybe not.

Calgon Bath Crystals: Calgon, take me away! Apparently I used to make my Barbies and dolls say this to each other when I played with them.

Enjoli: “I can bring home the bacon, fry it up in a pan, and never, never, never let you forget you’re a man, ‘cause I’m a WOOOman, Enjoli.” (is that an original song that Enjoli ripped off?)

Wind Song: A pensive looking man walks along a lonely, rain beach while background singers croon “I can’t seem to forget her, her Wind Song stays on my mind”.

Folgers - "We've secretly replaced Folger's Crystals with..." This might be my most used to this day. "We've secretly replaced DShaw's Emergen-C with..."

Ronco's Mr. Microphone - "Hey, good lookin' - we'll be back to pick you up later!" In fact, pretty much any Ronco commercial was a winner in my book. I loved me some Ronco Studsetter for jeans too.

Jean Nate: I don’t really remember the rest of this song, just the peppy chorus of singers singing “Jean Nate, Jean Nate!” while some horses ran around a track (and no, this was NOT a local-to-Kentucky spot). I LOVED it when my mom would let me splash on a little Jean Nate as a little kid after my bath. I know. Freak.

Agree Shampoo: This is part one of a 3-way tie (+Doughnut Man) for my VERY FAVORITE spot of all time and my only all-visual memory. The camera pans in close on an Agree Shampoo label and it opens like a door into a mystical, beautiful world of gorgeous hair models getting shampooed by a handsome male spokesman. Their hair is draped over a sink and he’s sensually rubbing her scalp (others are getting a similar rub-down in the background) while he talks about the many fine benefits of Agree. Not much of an idea but I consistently BEGGED my mom to buy Agree Shampoo because I thought that the labels really would open like a door and I could somehow crawl inside and get a scalp massage and live in the land of the gorgeous hair models. (My mom never gave in, by the way. I think I got the cheap Prell shit) I honestly believe this is why I revel in my haircuts and colors to this day. I also loved the Prell, Breck, Wella Balsam and Gee! Your Hair Smells Terrific! commercials. Clearly my hair product fetish was formed somewhere around age 3.

Calgon Washing Detergent - This one’s part 2 of my tie for Favorite: “Ancient Chinese secret, ehhh??” That just never gets old and even as a kid I knew that was some funny shit for 1975ish. Please tell me someone else remembers that saucy Chinese laundry-doing man.

21 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember every single one of those commercials. We must be about the same age. How about the Shake and Bake commercial with the little southern girl - "And I helped"

My sisters and I used to sing that Enjoli song all the time. Thanks for the memory.

PS Wasn't that a great game last night?

6:00 AM  
Blogger V said...

I always say "Move over bacon, now there's something leaner" when I want someone to get out of my way. It must've not been a well known commercial...b/c people usually look at me like I'm a few jalapenos short of a zippy salsa.
And sometimes a shower can make me Zestfully clean....

6:35 AM  
Blogger V said...

Oh and....I'm sorry I just had to add:
WHERE'S THE BEEF?

6:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I definitely remember the Calgon one. "My husband, some hotshot. Here's his ancient Chinese secret: Calgon!"

I was just recently thinking of that Enjoli song also. And do you remember the one for "Charlie" perfume? (Kinda young, kinda WOW!)

Have you seen that the old Tootsie Roll pop commercials with the owl have been resurfacing lately?

6:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gee, Your hair smells Terrific! Come on tell me you remember that one!!!!

Welcome back girl, you were missed.

7:42 AM  
Blogger DP said...

First of all, WHAT AN AWESOME GAME!!!

Second, do you remember Timotei Shampoo? I don't know if that's a Candian thing but I used to LOVE those commercials! The woman would get her hair washed in some beautful, misty meadow. (sigh) Such wonderful memories.

There was also Halsa Shampoo but I'm not sure if that aired in the States.

I'm discovering a possible hair fetish of my own...

7:57 AM  
Blogger gina said...

Gawd Ms. Brown! How we have missed you! Please don't leave for a while.

I remember all of those commercials. I actually asked for some Jean Nate for Christmas when I was like 8 and I got a purple gift basket with the cologne and the powder and lotion. I thought I was SO COOL! I probably stunk to high heaven.

And years ago, I had a few interesting breastage incidents at the Ace of Clubs! I even sang there once. I was drunk. But I had a great time! How funny!

7:59 AM  
Blogger Single, Party of One said...

oh my GOD!! V! Move over bacon, now there's something leaner - how could I forget? That's a staple in my language! Thanks for bringing it back!

8:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HOOK 'EM HORNS. Hard to remember a better college football bowl game than that one, and I've seen plenty.

My favorite - asking someone to "Flick my Bic".

I guess I'm dating myself, eh?

9:00 AM  
Blogger Tweets said...

Dunkin Donuts Man to you, Micro Machines Guy to me.

The one that continually sticks with me:

"Say goodbye a little longer
Make it last a little longer,
Give your long lasting freshness with BIG RED!"

and "My buddy, my buuuuuddy, my buddy and ME."

Gawd, I love advertising.

9:18 AM  
Blogger concha said...

where's the beef!!!


i remember i had this little toy from wendy's with a plastic beef patty. somehow i performed some kind of magic trick and the beef disappeared. and then we shouted where's the beef??? oh it was hours of fun.

when did advertising turn from hours of fun into hours of missed sleep?

and from one freelancer to another, hell yeah it was a break. and a damned wine drinkin' good one!

12:13 PM  
Blogger Jaime Schwarz said...

I remember the one girl that was famous in my elementary school class was famous cause her grandfather wrote the double-mint gum song. Wow did we love that girl for that one simple fact!

And my brother and I would always say to eachother when we had toasted pizza's...
"And the cheese goes blub blub blub!"

What was the name of that Bounty counter woman with the huge red hair? Alice? I think it was Alice. She was my favorite.

But didn't we forget the most important kid of them all?... Mikey! That damn kid was everywhere!

7:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, I'm going to go with Mikey also. May not have been the first but definitely one of the strongest early commercial memories I have. Too bad he died from drinking Coke and eating Pop Rocks. Such a shame.

8:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

they weeble and they wobble but they don't.fall.down. just like me!

happy new yeah, deah.

6:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"some times you feel like a nut, sometimes you don't." the almond joy/mounds commercial. i also still say the "move over bacon..." one.

on a side note, i'm a freak for kansas basketball like you are for uk. did ya see that game? i thought of you when i was watching.

5:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i didn't mean to be anon in the above post. oops

5:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

anyone know the name of the timotei girl with the long blonde hair

2:28 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

www.youtube.com/okfuz
Ellio's pizza commercial

1:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Does anyone remember the ad with 2 redneck-ish guys... One says "Where's the grease, Bob?" and the other guy answers "Don't know, Bob"... I can't remember what is was for and it's driving me nuts!

3:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

[url=http://kfarbair.com][img]http://www.kfarbair.com/_images/_photos/photo_big7.jpg[/img][/url]

מלון [url=http://www.kfarbair.com]כפר בעיר[/url] - [url=http://www.kfarbair.com/about.html]חדרים[/url] גדולים אנחנו מציעים שירותי אירוח מגוונים גם ישנו במקום שירות חדרים המכיל [url=http://www.kfarbair.com/eng/index.html]סעודות רומנטיות[/url] במחירים מפתיעים אשר מוגשות ישירות לחדרכם...

לפרטים נוספים נא גשו לאתר האינטרנט שלנו - [url=http://kfarbair.com]כפר בעיר[/url] [url=http://www.kfarbair.com/contact.html][img]http://www.kfarbair.com/_images/apixel.gif[/img][/url]

12:26 AM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

replica watches, michael kors outlet online, polo ralph lauren outlet online, ray ban sunglasses, jordan shoes, uggs outlet, louis vuitton, louis vuitton outlet, louis vuitton, ray ban sunglasses, christian louboutin, nike free, oakley sunglasses, kate spade outlet, longchamp outlet, longchamp outlet, oakley sunglasses wholesale, burberry outlet, prada handbags, michael kors outlet, michael kors outlet, michael kors outlet online, nike outlet, christian louboutin uk, longchamp outlet, gucci handbags, uggs outlet, replica watches, tiffany and co, chanel handbags, oakley sunglasses, oakley sunglasses, burberry handbags, nike air max, tiffany jewelry, uggs on sale, nike air max, michael kors outlet online, polo outlet, michael kors outlet online, louis vuitton outlet, cheap oakley sunglasses, ray ban sunglasses, ugg boots, christian louboutin outlet, tory burch outlet, louis vuitton outlet

5:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home