Thursday, February 02, 2006

Coldplay or Oldplay?

Tuesday night I had the pleasure of spending an evening with one of my favorite boyfriends. While most of you recognize him as Chris Martin, mega supahstar and front man for Coldplay, I simply know him as “baby”. (When Gwyn isn’t around, that is).

We rendezvous-ed at an intimate little out-of-the-way place known as Oakland Arena where he crooned to me over a romantic light and graphics show as sweetly and lovingly as he does in the privacy (pronounced with a short “I” as any proper mistress of a British rock star knows) of my virgin-white ear buds. It was an evening to remember. The only flaw in this perfect evening was the 19,198 onlookers. (I shared Chris with my friend ASkor, so she doesn’t count in the disappointing debacle I’m about to outline for you).

Let me start by saying this: I hate – nay despise- the people of the world who feel compelled to tell you how out-of-the-uber-hip-loop you are for liking Coldplay (said with a sneer and downward voice inflection), a “mass appeal” band as I believe someone last described them to me. You know who you are and all of you reading know who they are too. They’re the people who’ve extended their music snobbery well beyond the acceptable years of high school and college. They’re the people who actually liked Coldplay about 3 or 4 years ago before anyone in our (slow to pick up the good Brit bands) country had ever even heard of them. The people who are so insecure they have to constantly tell you how cool they are, what new “films” (God forbid you call it a “movie”) you should see, people who mock you for watching Project Runway, for fuck’s sake, or for indulging in a harmless 10 hour marathon of “I love the 80s”. (What’s WRONG with these people?)

It’s one thing if you never really liked a band before they reached pop super stardom. But you poser-type people who liked them and then try to cop a ‘tude once more than 17 people listen to them? You people really piss me off. How can I prove that you ever liked said bands? OK, you got me. I can’t. But I was in the 11th grade once. (Actually, my music snobbery didn’t kick in until freshman year of college) I know your tricks. We all had our wear-all-black, fall-in-desperate-love-with-a-hackey-sacker-from-the-theater-department-who-worked-for-the-college-radio-station period, right? (Didn’t we?)

On a scale of 1 to 10 with 1 being the uber-hip music snobs, the Jack Black shooing the dad out of the record store for trying to buy a Stevie Wonder CD in “High Fidelity” and 10 being the soccer mom who still wears high-waisted, pegged jeans, has permed hair, teased bangs and loves (LOVES!) Celine Dion, I’d say I’m about a 4. I’m not super hip. I’ve accepted this. I wear Banana Republic and H&M. But I’m not all that un-hip either. I’m cultural. I know what the kids are listening to yo, and I like a lot of it. And a few times I’ve even pointed the kids to things they didn’t even know about. Go figure.

BUT.

I had no idea – ZERO – of what I was in for when Chris, ASkor and I met up on Tuesday night. The people. At this concert. Were shocking. SHOCKING, I tell you. As God and ASkor are my witnesses, I think Olive Garden may very well have been the official sponsor of the Coldplay concert. And on top of that, I think Applebee’s, Chili’s, Chevy’s and possibly even Bob Evans mixed with a little Cracker Barrel bused in their clientele special, just to see that new band from Ain-glind (that’s my phonetic attempt at a middle American accent) with the fella married to the Esty Lauder model that the kids are listening to these days. Good Lord. The place was teeming with suburbia types. I think I even saw some acid-washed jeans. What the fuck?

On top of that, people started filing out before the show was even over. BEFORE the encore. BEFORE “Fix You”. You know, that incredible fucking song that’s on the ONLY Coldplay CD those people even have or even know exists. Filing out, I tell you. Like it was the bottom of the fricking 7th at an A’s game. Because they wanted to beat traffic. Oh. Holy. Jesus. They probably also hit the early-bird all you can eat special on the way up from Fresno.

Don’t get me wrong. The show was amazing. If you like Coldplay, you like Coldplay. But somewhere between their old gigs at The Fillmore (which made you feel like you were discovering this unbelievable new band in your friend’s really huge garage with a bar) to their show at Oakland Arena (which made me want to ask where on the mall directory Chico’s was) they started selling ring tones. And letting their music be used…in commercials. And thanking the guy at iPod for selling so much of their music. Thanking The Man! (yes, I have an iPod but why should a badass like Chris Martin have to kiss that guy’s ass?)

So maybe now I can identify with you #1s on the scale of 1 to 10. Just a tiny bit. Maybe the truth is that once a band hits it big, it isn’t the band you don’t want to be associated with but the fans. Truth? Anyone?

Now if you’ll excuse me, Fayette Mall from Lexington, Kentucky circa 1986 just called. And I’ve gotta figure out how I can screen that shit out.

12 Comments:

Blogger Tweets said...

Preach on sista! I hate music snobs, with the HOT HATE.

I especially love when you get to say those music snobs, "Oh that band? That's Jethro Tull, or that guy? That's Sammy Davis Jr."

I love all types of music, but seriously Music Snobs give it a rest. You're really the only one who cares.

Now give me some Debbie Gibson!


PS I like to what Coldplay's going through the Dave Matthews Band Syndrome (flame away about how UBER not cool I am since I mentioned the ultimate in not-coolness band!). Be careful before you know it they'll sart throwing pee on passing tourists.

1:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

holla! snap! 'nuff said! amen! you go girl!
have i written enough cliche phrases for "you said it?"

funny post. as usual.
i heart chris too. and gwyneth for that matter. nothing. no chili's fan. or gap-clad fan. or CSI ringtone will keep me away.

4:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HAHAHA! You're killing me, RBrown! I'm SO sorry that your Chris Martin lovefest was tainted by the smell of middle-aged Middle America. You've got to give them a teensy bit of credit for wanting to check out "that new band from Ain-glind." Don't you?

Nah...I guess not.

But I'm feeling you here, RBrown. Although I consider myself a "people person," I'm not always fond of my fellow citizens when I meet then in person.

By the way, I hate music snobs too! What do you expect from a guy who admits to working out at the gym to Alanis and Justin Timberlake?

Great post!

5:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, all you "adult alternative" day-trippers and 80's flashback addicts -- it's time a #1 (#2 at least) jumped in here.

The thing about us music snobs is that we're really music LOVERS who become a bit bitter. Why am I irritated when people just now jump on the Coldplay bandwagon? Because they had to be inundated with it before they bothered to really listen. The music had to find THEM. It's not that they aren't "cool" -- it's that they don't really care, and that bugs the shit out of those of us who do.

Example: Probably 60% of the people at that show didn't have a Coldplay CD. Another 35% bought one after "Clocks" saturated radio and TV. The other 5% are like me -- when I heard "The Scientist" on the radio, I turned my car around and went to Tower records. I spent the next month listening to every Coldplay song I could find over and over.

We #1's search for music constantly because we're nuts about it. We inhale it, can't get enough of it. We work hard to find music that inspires us, so please forgive the 'tude when we meet someone who doesn't care enough to listen to what's out there unless it makes the soundtrack of a Honda commercial.

Surely someone will finally flame me for this . . .?

7:29 PM  
Blogger Single, Party of One said...

Macfisto, I think you misunderstood me, love. I am ALL FOR people jumping on the bandwagon late in the game, I guess I was just surprised at the middle america flavor present at a Coldplay concert. I suppose I thought the bandwagon might stop at more of an East Maxwell or High and Rose-ish kind of stop rather than the intersection of Man 'O War and Tates Creek Blvd (that's Lexington, KY reference only Macfisto will know)

What I hate are the people who jump ship on the Coldplays, the U2s, etc (even though they secretly still like them) just to prove that they're WAY TOO COOL FOR SCHOOL. I mean, I'm totally willing to ride the bus (sorry, I'm analogy-ing between buses and ships)with the 10s on the scale, hell, I'll even ride that bus with the 67s on the 1 to 10 scale because I LIKE COLDPLAY. A clarification of my observation would be what a difference a few years makes. From pierced eyebrows, lips and noses to pegged jeans and perms. Who knew?

Basically it boils down to this: you're good peeps for not making everyone around you feel like an ass for liking Coldplay because Coldplay is now as Vanilla as a Baskin Robbins flavor of the month (they might skew a tiny bit Ben & Jerry's Vanilla still but it's a tough call). You're good peeps because you understand music is music, no matter who you like. If Celine Dion's your thing, fine. You won't catch me listening to it but I'm not gonna make you feel 1 millimeter tall for liking her.

(And for the record, MacFisto does not like Celine Dion.)

8:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My theory is that coldplay is basically wht U2 would be today if they hadn't hooked up with Brian Eno and made 4 really crappy albums, sold their own ipods and started a clothing line in Peru or wherever.

While U2 promises us the next Joshua tree album every two years...Coldplay delivers. It's not that inovative or truly that exciting but at leat we know they're not going to betray us by recording the next Achtung Baby.

2:08 PM  
Blogger sissy said...

I'm so glad you said it, and said it so well. I am constantly picked on by music snobs because I like who I like WHEN I like them. I liked U2 way back when and they irritate the shit out of me now, not because they are mainstream but just BECAUSE THEY DO! I don't care if it is hip or trendy...Or even "age appropriate". I was told the other day that driving a mini van means I can no longer listen to some bands. Listen folks, the mini van came with the kids... It isn't an appendage!

Oh, but I must say, mini van or no, I would NEVER leave a concert early to "beat the traffic"! Dear God, I may have to see what my mom and dad were doing the other night!

9:25 AM  
Blogger Single, Party of One said...

Mabel, I heard a song for us yesterday. It may be new, it may be way old - I have no idea as I heard it on the radio in my friend's car that I'm housesitting for and since I don't have a car and don't have a radio, I never listen to the radio anymore.

Anyway, it's totally poppy and silly but the words made me laugh: 1985 by Bowling for Soup. Give that a listen...I think you'll like it. PS - Nothing wrong with driving a mini-van if you drive it with attitude and I have NO doubt that's how you roll!

9:36 AM  
Blogger Check me out: said...

are you blaming coldplay for kentucky losing to tennessee? because that's what i'm hearing.

3:49 PM  
Blogger Single, Party of One said...

You really know how to hit a girl where she lives, Steveoh. Ouch, man.

7:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I guess you could call me a music snob, but I'm not all the way up there on the scale.

I love music of all kinds and own a ton of it. I go to concerts as often as I can and I love discovering new bands and then watching them make it big.

But I do have a problem with the bandwagon jumpers and novices who pretend they know the band when really they just own that one album that sold a lot of copies.

The other thing that makes me a snob and I'll admit this freely is that I stop liking bands when they sell out. Coldplay and U2 are good expamples. I know I'm probably missing out on some good music, but I just can't help myself.

3:46 PM  
Blogger raybanoutlet001 said...

coach outlet store online
nike huarache
prada outlet
nike air max 90
ugg boots
reebok shoes
michael kors bags
michael kors handbags
nike factory outlet
coach outlet
2017.8.1

6:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home