Sunday, February 12, 2006

My TOTALLY RAD new apartment!!!!!!!!

As many of you know, my search for a permanent home over the past 4-6 weeks has been a bit of a challenge. I’m not a vegan, I’m not unscented, I wear leather, I’m not a pagan, I watch TV and I’m not at all active in a single stuffed animal community that the Bay Area has to offer. Not one. (Ballsy of me, right? I mean everybody knows a good stuffed dog alliance will score you the best room the Outer Sunset has to offer.)

So you may be surprised to hear that someone as picky and scent-a-licious as me finally managed to sign a lease. That’s right. I’m moving into an apartment on March 3. But it was a tough choice between my two finalists. Allow me to explain.

Apartment 1
The post for apartment 1 stated they were looking for a woman in her mid-30s to balance out the 2 males (early 40s and 30) and 1 other female (early 40s). I went to meet the roommates and check out the apartment (located in Cole Valley) a week ago. Nice people, cute place, but it was as silent as a tomb at 2:00 on a Saturday afternoon. Now most of the time, I’m out doing something fun and weekend-like at 2 pm on Saturdays. But on the off weekends I’d actually be in my apartment, it’s likely I’ll be sitting in my room watching whichever marathon of whatever reality TV show VH1, Bravo or MTV are offering. During commercial breaks, I’ll be listening to clips of songs I want to buy or illegally download in between reading from whatever book I’m enjoying that particular day while fielding calls from my friends on my cell phone with a very loud ring tone version of the “Hungarian Hat Dance” regarding what our plans for the evening are. What can I say? I’m a multi-tasker.

The interview progressed and one of the roommates asked if his practicing cello and flute would bother me during reasonable daytime hours. I answered honestly: not at all. He then asked me if I had a TV. Yes. He paused. And he supposed I’d want to watch the TV in my room? Um, yeah. Right. This might be a problem. You know. The buzz of TV carries. We might have to monitor this.

Pre-advertising, this hullabaloo wouldn’t have been a problem. Because me and my 24-inch hunk of TV would still be living in harmonious urban bliss at my ginormous studio with hardwood floors, huge closets (plural), separate dining room and hallway (that’s right, a hallwayin a studio). But now that I’m paying surgeon-like student loans back for social worker-like advertising checks, compromises must be made. Lines must be drawn. Cellos must be listened to. Volume must be curtailed. Hour long discussions about handling conflict endured. O, what fun we’ll have, apartment 1!!!!

Apartment 2
The posting for this apartment announced an open house hosted by four 20-something roommates. It never occurred to me that I shouldn’t go to this open house because of my advanced age. I figured they’d either like me or they wouldn’t, I’d get the apartment or I wouldn’t, end of story.

Me and about 15 other hopeful roommates showed up at the Pacific Heights Victorian last Monday. As the roommates guided us around, a “Bachelor” vibe ensued. Other roommate hopefuls began throwing elbows to get to the front, jockeying for position so they could get some face time with the roommates, throw a few clever words in. ”Look at me! I’m funny!” But being on time, being tall and wearing heels finally pays off – I was at the front of the pack and nobody was knockin’ me and my 6’0” frame (in heels) out of the way. Go ahead, bitches. (Keep smiling!) Try.

We all sat down in the hallway area for a Q&A. More hopefuls, saying things just to be saying them, asking questions just to be asking them, talking

What the…??? Is that a washer and dryer I see back there? A new washer and dryer?? Oh holy shit, the stakes just rose. Say something funny! Wait, what? I have to write a bio about myself?? Are you fucking kidding me with this? I get to write a bio? This place is SOOOO mine.

I wrote while the roommates talked. “Like, we’re all really good friends. And we just wanna, you know, like keep that vibe. Like, we all totally go out together every weekend, to North Beach and get totally crazy. It’s really fun. We want somebody that’s into that. It’s totally important to us.”

My pen froze. Abort! Abort! You’re not 20-something anymore! (I’m talking to myself now, for those of you who didn’t catch on) You’re a self-described “daytime friend” to your other 20-something friends because you know all you really want most of the time is a couple of glasses of really good wine, some sushi, your best girls, a few hotties to serve as eye candy and a midnight curfew and poof! You’ve got yourself the perfect Saturday night. Tequila and Jager shots? 5 am taxi rides home after partying in the apartment of some randoms for 2 hours after the bars closed? Totally 1996. And an occasional 2002. (Disregard 2003-2005 of ad school) Maybe a few times post ad school in 2005. OK. You got me. No one’s perfect. BUT NO MORE.

I couldn’t do it. I thanked them, got up and walked out. I could feel the eyes of the other hopefuls staring holes in my back. Their smugness, though unspoken, was deafening. She is SO not getting this apartment. She should totally be staying to mingle with the roommates. No WAY is she getting a rose.

And the winner is…..
The answer seemed so obvious as I walked out of the apartment that night. I’m not a youngster anymore. It’s time to be an adult. To live with adults. I’ve got adult debts and lines around my eyes that I like to pretend are laugh lines. My 20s were over eons ago. Ad school was forever ago. Real life is here. Real life is today.

But as I thought more about that, I rememberd how much fun, how many gut laugh out-loud $2 wine coming out of my nose moments I had living with my five 20-something hottie London gal pals in the Islington flat. I thought about what an incredible experience it was sharing a West Kensington dive with Better Darker Half, a 20-something gay Aussie boy, an Italian guy who spoke no English and a married Polish couple that partied like rock stars, boiled water and drank it to ward off hangovers and managed to get up every morning at 5 am to report to work. And how I managed to fit my 30-something ways into that life and still have fun. Did I want to live in a library? In a place where people would judge me for loving “I love the 80s”? Or did my pendulum swing more towards an occasional tequila shot with a low-cut silk camisole thrown in for good measure to highlight my mature bosom? I’m hip, I’m with it, tucka tucka tucka. Right? Besides, no one had offered me the apartment yet. I bailed early. Surely they were on to me. Surely. Right?

Wrong, my friends, SO WRONG. I was offered Apartment 2. And I took it. I fooled them- mooohoohawwhahaaaa!! Though my intent was never to deceive them, just to check the place out and see if they looked like people I could live with. Despite their 20-something ways, they did. They seemed cool. Like me 10 years ago. (or 2 years ago at times). Nice people. Just not lucky enough to be born in a year that doubles as a sexual position. But now they think I’m between 24 and 28. Shit.

So, all you 20-somethings….would you be pissed if you found out your new roommate was older than you thought? Even if she was like, totally fun, cool, and funny but sometimes like, abandoned going out on weekend nights altogether to enjoy Netflix, wine and a good book?

Oh my GOD. People think I’m between 24 and 28. SWEET!

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

First off, nice work. Congrats seem to be the order for you this winter.

Second, this is going to be a walk in the park (or down the booze-tilted sidewalk). Allow the psychologist to explain . . . You only have to hit it really hard ONCE, and then kinda hard once every six weeks after. Here's the plan: (1) Lay low the first couple weeks. Have plans on the weekend. Seem popular and busy. Let the suspense build. (2) On a Friday or Saturday, when you know they'll be going out, ask to tag along. (3) Go out with them and ass-out completely. Get drunk or at least behave so and do something juvenile and outrageous. Something that makes a good story without landing you in jail or at a clinic (that night or a couple weeks later). Thus, your reputation will be set and you won't have to perform in such a manner ever again. And remember that you can always dazzle them with stories from the past. Chances are you could teach these ragamuffins a thing or two about living on the edge.

Just don't hook up with any of your roomates. I mean it.

11:51 PM  
Blogger Jaime Schwarz said...

Congrats RB, great find! I totally agree with Mac. It's like when you enter prison for the first time as "fresh meat" or the "new fish." You just have to shiv someone once and that'll cement your rep and you won't have to be someone's bitch. Get it over with quick, back it up with those great pics of jumping on top of bars I know you have, and then you might get them settled into that wine and netflix and saturday dinner party lifestyle all who are in their 20's love anyway.

1:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats on the pad, RBrown. I'd offer my own advice but I'm too busy laughing my ass off at Jaime's "fresh meat" prison analogy. Funny stuff.

Don't shiv anyone!

6:49 AM  
Blogger DP said...

Way to be, RBrown! Congrats on the new digs! And I too have to agree the rest -- balls out one weekend and you'll be immortalized in the Drunkers Hall of Shame.

BTW, I'm all for Netflix and wine on a Saturday eve. And I'm still (barely) in my 20s. Time to teach the 'mates something new!

8:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

holla! macfisto is your dear abby. i compltetly agree with that plan of attack,. genius!
congrats babe! i've wondered where you've been.
it's about time all that southern charm that we all adore pays off. those are a lucky crew of peeps that are getting you as a roommate. and you know, you can always be the Montana (real world boston) to their Elka. the wise woman who has lived a thousand lives and knows the ways of the world and always has a great tale to tell of the Golden Days of SF.
c

10:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL at Schwarz.

2:18 PM  
Blogger Check me out: said...

dude, where's your car?

seriously, where in the marina is it? near mauna loa or by delancey's?

5:07 PM  
Blogger Check me out: said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

5:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Macfisto should start an advice column.

Way to go Rbrown, you are so much braver than I!

10:14 PM  
Blogger Tweets said...

My money's on the shiv.

Congrats on the apartamento!

9:03 AM  
Blogger concha said...

dude. honesty. i had no idea you weren't "our age" until someone told me. and, fuck. who wants to be "our age" anyway? i'd much rather sit at home and rink a bottle of wine with a movie than go out and experience a night at the roxbury any saturday. you can be my roomate if you ever come back to nyc.

10:26 AM  
Blogger gina said...

Yea, I did exactly what macfisto said to do with the moms at school and now they think I'm an alkie. I hope it works with your new roomates!

Seriously, yay for you! I hope your new pad and buddies are fabulous!

9:56 AM  
Blogger انجين محمد said...

الإهمال والتكاسل في تسليك المجاري وشفط البيارات وانتشار المياه يؤدي إلي مشاكل وأضرار خطيرة علي صحة الانسان منها انتشار الروائح الكريهة وبالتالي ظهور الحشرات والقوارض والتي تسبب أمراض خطيرة للإنسان وتحرص شركة النور الدولية علي سلامه وصحة عملائها الكرام فتسارع في إرسال طاقم عمالها المدرب علي تسليك البالوعات وشفط البيارات حتي أن تطلب منهم الأمر إلي النزول داخلها بزي خاص كما تزودهم الشركة بأحدث أجهزه الشفط والتسليك الحديثة والمتطورة بالأضافه إلي استخدامهم لمواد تنظيف وتطهير أمنه تماما علي الصحة وليس لها أي أثار جانبيه وتقدم الشركة أسعارا لا تقبل المنافسة لتصل خدماتها لكافه الفئات.
شركة تنظيف بيارات بمكة
شركة تسليك مجاري بمكة
شركة تنظيف خزانات بمكة
تنظيف بيارات بمكة
شركة عزل بمكة

شركة نقل عفش بمكة
نقل العفش بكافه أنواعه يحتاج إلي أشخاص علي درجه من الكفاءة حيث انه في كثير من الأحيان ومع التعامل مع الهواة يتم خدش الأثاث أو تكسيرة وهذا ما لا يحدث مع شركة النور الدولية فالشركة تتعامل مع مجموعه من العمال علي درجه عالية من الخبرة في نقل الأثاث وحمل كل قطعه بطريقه معينه وبعد تغليفه يتم وضعه بطريقه سليمة داخل سيارات مخصصه لنقل الأثاث نظيفة وجافه وجيدة التهوية حتي لا يصدر عنها رائحة كريهة كما أن السائق مدرب علي تفادي كافه العقبات التي قد تؤثر علي الأثاث والشركة تقدم أسعار لا تقبل المنافسة أو التحدي.
شركة نقل عفش بمكة
شركة نقل اثاث بمكة

5:34 AM  
Blogger el3nod said...

الان يمكنكم التعرف علي كبري شركات العنود من خلال افضل شركة تنظيف خزانات في مكة المكؤمة اي انهم يعملون علي تنظيف جيدا من خلال افضل شركة تنظيف منازل فهم يعملون علي يد خبراء متخصصين في اعمال التنظيف من خلال افضل واكبر شركة تنظيف سجاد فهم يعملون علي تنظيف موكيت والسجاد وجميع انواع المفروشات ويعملون علي توفير كبري شركة جلي سيراميك اي يعملون علي تنظيف السيراميك وجيلة من خلال ادوات التبخير من شركة مكافحة العتة بعد عملية مكافحة العتة وابادتها جيدا

1:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home